Category: Buildings

Historical buildings of note


 

Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir

This article intends using existing documentation to discover when the brick section of the Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir was built and occupied.  Meredith Gould in her 1991 Whittlesea Heritage Study, speculated that the oldest or masonry section of the building known as the Caretaker’s Cottage, may have been designed by James Blackburn. This is entirely possible as existing documentation...

READ MORE Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir

Carome Homestead

In 1840, Arthur Sergeantson purchased Section 19, Parish of Morang, a total of 842 acres. He named the property Sergeantson Hall but the portion between the Plenty River and Plenty Road soon became known as Carome the name of the flour mill he established in 1841. The Homestead itself was built in 1861 from local bluestone and is a large...

READ MORE Carome Homestead

Bundoora Homestead

In 1899 John Matthew Vincent Smith ( 1857-1923), a prominent identity in the horse breeding and racing industry, acquired the property known as “Bundoora Park” consisting of some 606 acres. The homestead was the result of a design competition. The owner John Matthew Vincent Smith advertised in the Argus and attracted 16 designs. The first prize of 50 Pounds was...

READ MORE Bundoora Homestead

Whittlesea Courthouse

Located at the corner of Church and Beech Streets in Whittlesea.(Melway Map 246  G8) Among the early townships in the Plenty Valley Whittlesea came the closest to fulfilling the role as the main centre in the area. It was for this reason that Whittlesea was chosen as the site for the courthouse, which was built in 1864. The courthouse is...

READ MORE Whittlesea Courthouse

Old Pubs and Hotels

The origins of Pubs and Hotels are often a forgotten aspect of local History. It seems strange because the hotel is looked upon as a hub venue in any town. People congregate there to gossip, to bet and certainly to relax and tell stories. The City of Whittlesea has many old Pubs and Hotels within its boundaries, some dating back...

READ MORE Old Pubs and Hotels

Wollert Primary School

Wollert Primary School No. 1861 The Education Department acquired the site for this school on High Street from Mr. Cameron in 1875 for 5 Pounds. It was on the 1st of March 1877  that Wollert State  School no.1861 was officially opened. It had an initial enrolment of 84 children and the Head Teacher was  Mr Josiah Willmott. In 1878 he even...

READ MORE Wollert Primary School

Christ Church Whittlesea

Christ Church Anglican, Whittlesea In 1863 a Whittlesea resident Thomas Wills donated fifteen acres of land to the Church of England for the use of promoting the Christian religion within the area. More specifically though Wills directed that part of this land was for the erection  of a building for public worship and of a dwelling for the Minister duly...

READ MORE Christ Church Whittlesea