Category: Archives

Family Surname Briefs A – D

James ANDREW James was born in 1827 in Devonshire. He married a Mary Heal in 1850. They sailed for Melbourne on the “Lady McNaughton” but Mary died on the voyage. He married an Anna Maria Webb at St Peter’s Church Melbourne in 1852. They lived at his Darebin Creek property and later purchased farms in Whittlesea, one being named “Woolsery”.

READ MORE Family Surname Briefs A – D

Westgarthtown – Thomastown

Westgarthtown was established in March 1850 and is named after WILLIAM WESTGARTH (1815 -1889). This was Victoria’s first German settlement and had a number of names during the 1850’s: Keelbundora, the German colony, Dry Creek, Neu Mecklenburg and Germantown. The German and Wendish settlers finally renamed it Westgarthtown in recognition of Westgarth’s assistance both prior and after their arrival into...

READ MORE Westgarthtown – Thomastown

Hawkstowe Park

(Melways Map 183 H8)Entry is gained from Gordon’s Road. Hawkstowe Park is managed by Parks Victoria and is open all year round from 8.00am to 5.00pm except during daylight saving time when the gates are open until 8.00pm. Hawkstowe Park was once the home of the Le Page family. It was built in the 1850’s and consisted of the homestead,...

READ MORE Hawkstowe Park

Drystone Walls

Historically the area around Whittlesea was blessed or should I say cursed, whichever way you look at it, with having an abundance of stone in the landscape. The Germans when they first arrived in Thomastown quickly mastered the rocky terrain, utilising the stone for buildings and fences. The English, Scottish and Irish immigrants who settled nearby at Epping, Wollert, Woodstock...

READ MORE Drystone Walls

Keon Park

The Suburb, and more particularly the Railway Station of Keon Park which is in the City of Whittlesea, was named after Keon Park Pty Ltd., a land development Company formed in 1924. The Directors were Joseph CHALEYER, Henry Isaac COHEN, John James LISTON, John Wesley McCOMAS and John Edmond TAYLOR. A very interesting bunch of people, but Mr COHEN is...

READ MORE Keon Park

Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir

This article intends using existing documentation to discover when the brick section of the Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir was built and occupied.  Meredith Gould in her 1991 Whittlesea Heritage Study, speculated that the oldest or masonry section of the building known as the Caretaker’s Cottage, may have been designed by James Blackburn. This is entirely possible as existing documentation...

READ MORE Caretaker’s House at Yan Yean Reservoir

Carome Homestead

In 1840, Arthur Sergeantson purchased Section 19, Parish of Morang, a total of 842 acres. He named the property Sergeantson Hall but the portion between the Plenty River and Plenty Road soon became known as Carome the name of the flour mill he established in 1841. The Homestead itself was built in 1861 from local bluestone and is a large...

READ MORE Carome Homestead

Bundoora Homestead

In 1899 John Matthew Vincent Smith ( 1857-1923), a prominent identity in the horse breeding and racing industry, acquired the property known as “Bundoora Park” consisting of some 606 acres. The homestead was the result of a design competition. The owner John Matthew Vincent Smith advertised in the Argus and attracted 16 designs. The first prize of 50 Pounds was...

READ MORE Bundoora Homestead