Received its name about then too, because it was the road to the Upper Plenty District. A Post Office was established there in 1853 as the Upper Plenty Post Office and this was changed to the Whittlesea Post Office in Jan.1864 and has been Whittlesea Post Office ever since.
The name ‘Plenty River’ was bestowed in Feb. 1836 by Joseph Tice GELLIBRAND, of the Port Phillip Association, because the nearby country had such a promising aspect. When the area around what is now Whittlesea was settled in the 1840’s, it received the name “Plenty” or “Upper Plenty” because of its proximity to the Plenty River.
The Yan Yean Reservoir is the oldest water supply for the city of Melbourne. Work began in 1853 at the height of the gold rush, and it took four years to construct at a cost of £750,000.
At the time of its completion in 1857 it was the largest artificial reservoir in the world.