Wollert Primary School No. 1861


The Education Department acquired the site for this school on High Street from  Mr Cameron in 1875 for 5 Pounds. It was on the 1st of March 1877  that Wollert State  School no.1861 was officially opened.

 

It had an initial enrolment of 84 children and the Head Teacher was  Mr Josiah Willmott. In 1878 he even conducted night school for about 27 children who were needed  for farm work during the day.

Up to 1924 pupils sat on backless benches  and it was not  until 1928 that these were replaced by the “new” dual desks. The school  is no longer operating and was closed in the late 1980s. It has been taken over  and restored inside by a Christian Church group. The outside still remains the same  and can be seen from High Street travelling north, on the left hand side of the road just past the Craigieburn-Epping road junction.