Whittlesea Courthouse

Located at the corner of Church and Beech Streets in Whittlesea.
(Melway Map 246  G8)

Among the early townships in the Plenty Valley Whittlesea came the closest to fulfilling the role as the main centre in the area. It was for this reason that Whittlesea was chosen as the site for the courthouse, which was built in 1864.


The courthouse is of solid brick on bluestone footings and the builder was a William Lockwood, a local contractor who also as it happened built the Whittlesea State School.
The Court itself closed in 1990 and was bought by the local council. Since then it has been restored and now houses tourist information for the area. It is manned by local volunteers most days.