Bundoora Homestead

In 1899 John Matthew Vincent Smith ( 1857-1923), a prominent identity in the horse breeding  and racing industry, acquired the property known as "Bundoora Park" consisting of some 606 acres.

The homestead was the result of a design competition. The owner John Matthew Vincent Smith advertised in the Argus and attracted 16 designs. The first prize of 50 Pounds was awarded to Sydney Herbert Wilson for his design of a double storey asymmetrical plan, red brick mansion.

The fourteen bedroom mansion was built in 1899 and included stained glass by Auguste Fischer, plaster work, mantels and a grand staircase with pyrographic panels. Bundoora Homestead remains one of Wilson's most distinguished works and a prominent example of the English Queen Anne style.

After the Smith family, the Commonwealth Government bought and it became the Bundoora Convalescent Farm for returned service personnel from World War 1. In 2001, the Darebin City Council opened Bundoora Homestead as a centre for Contemporary Art.

It has the Gallery along with a lovely Cafe.

It is located at 7-27 Snake Gully Drive, Bundoora.
Enter from Prospect Hill Drive off Plenty Road.
(Mel Ref 19 G2)