Plenty Road - Whittlesea

The name 'Plenty River' was bestowed in Feb. 1836 by Joseph Tice GELLIBRAND, of the Port Phillip Association, because the nearby country had such a promising aspect.

 

When the area around what is now Whittlesea was settled in the 1840's, it received the name "Plenty" or "Upper Plenty" because of its proximity to the Plenty River.

The 'Plenty Road'( sometimes called Upper Plenty Road) received its name about then too, because it was the road to the Plenty Settlement.

A Post Office was established there in 1853 as the Plenty Post Office and this was changed to the Whittlesea Post Office in Jan.1864 and it has been Whittlesea ever since.